Tuesday 14 July 2009

Phildelphia: Laundry & Prose.

So I had a pretty uneventful and yet productive Monday. I went to the launderette (or laundromat as it is known here) to take care of some laundry - oh, the joys! I'd never visited one of those places before, not even in the UK. So I was asking lots of questions and probably annoying the woman behind the counter, but she was really lovely :)

The reason I went to the laundromat in the first place, despite there being a washer and dryer in the basement of my apartment, is because that basement looks like something out of a horror film. I've more or less grown up on American movies (like a lot of ppl) and seen my fair share of horrors - so I know what I'm talking about when I say the place was C-R-E-E-P-Y man! Complete with shaky wooden staircase, dust and cobwebs for days!! I took two steps down, had a quick look around and hot-stepped it out of there!! I just need to show what I was expected to work with:
(ahem no way in hell!!!)

and what I chose to work with:

Aside from the mundane tasks of life and living I completed one of my short stories...one that I started aaages ago and it really should not have taken this long to write - but I had decided to combine two original (separate) ideas into one, so took a while to really get a feel of the plot and characters. I still may change the end, but at least it has an end now! It's sort of an ode to my late Grandmother and a sort of wish on paper: that I had known her like the protaganist in my story had known hers. But anyway that has now moved into final editing stages (yeah me!) and I'm on to my next short story....

...The idea for this was conceived many moons ago (ok, not that long maybe a few months), but it's great when that happens because I usually have a title by then. Which sometimes helps with the flow (well it does for me). I'm not going to give the title away but it has something to do with the colour:
and nope it has nothing to do with Alice Walker and her great book :)

Just really spent the day writing that, in between cooking and watching lots and lots of music videos oldies and newbies and dancing in the mirror (hmm, didn't really need to reveal that but anyway...) I'm really feeling Eric Benet's 'Femininity' and Ginuwine's 'Last Chance' Though I'm still wondering how Pitbull got a record deal - I don't make a habit of blasting artists in public (who knows I may have to interview them one day) but he really REALLY bugs me. I cannot stand his music!

On Sunday I briefly stopped by this artist and music event, where creative people are selling the items they have made and there is music and places to buy food. Though I didn't stay long it was decent. Anybody who knows me well, knows that three of my favourite things are cakes, candles and earrings and they had them all at this event!

(Homemade) Cakes:

(Homemade) Candles:

they came in all different scents: Vanilla, Orange, Apple, Raspberry even Gingerbread and had little molds. The Gingerbread actually had little Gingerbread men molds which was pretty sweet.

As for the earrings:

2 comments:

  1. Damn, that basement looks scary as HELL!! The film 'Single White Female' comes to mind, but if you were starring in it it would be called 'Smart Black Female' and you would be the last to die cos you got more sense than to go anywhere that looks like that and investigate any noises.

    I'm not a huge fan of candles but I could see why anyone over there would be a candle junkie they look lovely.

    ReplyDelete