Tuesday 14 July 2009

Philadelphia: Wholefoods (10/07/09)

On my way back I lost my bearings, couldn't find the bus stop so went in search of some food (yum!):

and yes, I did finish the burger! The resturant itself was kind of surreal, surrounded by twangy accents and a waitress complete with bleary eyes and too much eye make-up, it felt like a cliched scene from numerous American movies (lol sorry but it did).

After a late lunch I spotted a supermarket, which was handy because my fridge was empty - I was living like a bachelor (not good for a foodie). All I can say about the supermarket is WOW! First impression (and this is just from the entrance i.e. a small part of the fruit and veg section):


I'd never seen such a wide variety of food before (didn't even know yellow carrots existed!), mid-way I started to get frustrated because I just didn't know what I wanted. I don't know how Americans must feel when they holiday in the UK, but they must feel frustrated at the lack of choice we have to offer in our tiny supermarkets (by comparison). Take the 'serve yourself' cereal section, for example (and I only got the middle section):

They even had different types of nut butter, we just get peanut butter in the UK but here I saw cashew and almond. I also saw wine jelly - WINE JELLY people! (On my next shopping trip I will be picking some up):

Not only was there so much variety, but the food was HUGE!
Peppers:

Onions:

Milk:Who drinks that much milk????

My fridge is not completely stocked, but it's no longer empty. I came home a happy foodie (until I discovered my Pineapple Upside Down Cake had not been put in my bag and I cannot find the receipt to check if I was charged for it!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment